iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5S appear identical. Visually, the two phones are pretty similar. The dimensions and weight are exactly the same. On the front, about the only difference you’ll see is the home button. The iPhone 5 has the regular rounded square while the 5S has the new fingerprint scanner. On the back, the only difference is that the 5S has an oval shaped dual flash to the right of the lens. So if there’s so little difference, why make a new phone?
It’s All In The Details
Once you get under the hood, that’s where you’ll notice the real change. Here are some key areas where you’ll see differences between Apple’s iPhone 5S and its predecessor, the iPhone 5:
- Speed: The 5S is faster by far. From simply booting up to loading apps to the camera, everything is noticeably quicker on the 5S. The processor may be the biggest upgrade. The phone has an A7 chip – the first 64-bit processor in a smart phone. Apple says it is up to twice as fast compared to the iPhone 5.
- Camera: The camera may be the second biggest upgrade. The megapixels are the same but the 5S has a larger sensor, larger pixels and a larger aperture. More light can reach the camera, and that means a better picture. The phone has a True Tone dual flash that automatically adjusts to over 1,000 settings to create the correct light for your shot. As mentioned above the camera is faster. But there are new additions like burst mode for photos and the pretty cool slow motion mode for the video camera. The front camera has been improved compared to the iPhone 5 and an improved backside illumination sensor will make it better for low light shooting.
- Motion Co-Processor: The 5S is the first iPhone to include a motion co-processor – a chip that interacts with the phone’s physical sensors (accelerometer, compass, and gyroscope) to open up new feedback options for apps.
- Fingerprint Scanner: The Touch ID fingerprint scanner scanner lets you secure your phone with your fingerprint. So unless someone has your finger, they can’t unlock your phone! In short, this makes your phone very secure.
- Color Options: The 5S come in a variety of colors – yellow, green, blue, pink, and white. This is way more than previous models. You’ll find your regular slate and gray too along with a gold option.
- Connectivity and 4G: The 5S provides more support for additinal 4G LTE bands.
- Battery life: The iPhone 5S will have better (or at least equal) battery life than the iPhone 5. It will be able to provide 10 hours of talk time, 10 hours of 4G web browsing, 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing or up to 250 hours of standby.
If you have made up your mind which cellphone you prefer between the two, come into The Blue Dot. We have new refurbished iPhones on sale at an absolute steal!